Korean Fried Chicken (KFC)
This is a super easy dish to make and the taste of the crispy, double fried chicken in a sweet, peppery and sticky sauce is amazing! I serve these in a homemade sweet bun with some Kewpie mayo (Japanese mayonnaise) and some home made pickles (carrots, red onion and radish).
Korean Fried Chicken
How to make sweet, spicy and sticky Korean Fried Chicken!
- 6 Boneless skinless Chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp Rice Wine
- 2 tsp minced Ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup (or more as needed) Corn starch
- Some cooking Oil (Vegetable or Peanut) Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Gochujang (Korean chilli paste – can be found in most Asian supermarkets)
- 1/4 cup of Honey
- 1/4 cup of Brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (Dark)
- 2 Tbsp minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil Garnish
- Toasted Sesame seeds
- Green onion finely chopped or shredded
- In a glass bowl, place the chicken thighs(cut into bit size pieces), rice wine, ginger, salt and black pepper. Combine well.
- Spread the cornstarch onto a plate and lightly dust the chicken pieces all over (one by one, not all at once), shake off excess and put onto another clean plate.
- In a Wok, heat the oil until the temperature reaches 350F. Start adding the battered chicken pieces carefully and fry until they cook (4-5 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken). Do not put too much chicken in at a time, I find half of the amount will leave enough room to cook evenly. Remove the cooked chicken and place on a plate with paper towel to help drain.
- Repeat the above step for the remainder of the chicken, make sure your oil is back to 350F before proceeding.
- Remove and then re fry the first batch again for another 2-3 minutes, this ensures your chicken is crisp! Remove and repeat for the 2nd batch. Place onto a paper towel covered plate.
- In a small saucepan, combine the chicken sauce ingredients (above). Heat the sauce on a low medium heat until the sauce starts to bubble, stirring often.
- Place the chicken into a bowel and pour over the sauce. Gently mix until the sauce has covered all the chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle some toasted sesame seed and the chopped green onion over the chicken and serve immediately.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.