The crunch of the cashews adds a nice bite to this saucy chicken stir fry, that is found in many Chinese restaurants. You can use chicken thighs or breast, the thighs will take slightly longer to cook. I used breast in the recipe below. I tend to use a quick marinade when using breast to help keep them juicy!
Chinese Cashew Chicken
Serve this with the Egg Foo Yung and Veggie Rice Noodle dish posted on my cookbook!
- 1 Lb of boneless, skinless Chicken breast
- 2 tbsp of peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sml onion, cut into quarters lengthwise
- 1 green or red pepper
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup of roasted Cashews
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp LIGHT soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing Wine)
- dash of ground pepper
- 3 tbsp water
- Marinate: Cut Chicken breast into slices (across the grain) or cubes if you prefer
- Mix some cornstarch and soy sauce , dip chicken into mixture and let marinade for 10 minutes
- Sauce: Mix corn starch, soy sauce until smooth, then add the remaining sauce ingredients, mix well
- Cook: Heat oil in a large wok over high heat, add garlic and onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until onion is softened.
- Add chicken Stir fry for 2 minutes until the chicken has cooked through and is slightly browned.
- Add red pepper and cook for 1 minute
- Add cashews and mix well, stir for 30 seconds.
- Add sauce and water, stir well until sauce thickens (about a minute).
- Serve immediately with your favourite side dishes!
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.