Osso Buco for two.
What a lovely, warming dish for a chilly night in the Great White North! Its actually an easier dish than you may think, full of tender Beef (or for the more purist out there, Veal) shanks, with a beautiful rich, tomato sauce, simmered for a couple of hours in a Dutch Oven, then served onto of some smashed Parmesan Red potatoes…delish!!
Osso Buco for 2
A heartwarming, rich, tender beef casserole.
- 2 large Beef (or Veal) shanks, approx 3/4″- 1″ thick
- Small amount of flour for dusting the shanks
- Olive Oil for cooking
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 small stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) chopped tomatoes (or strained tomatoes)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and ground Back pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Dust the Beef slices with flour. In a large Dutch Oven, brown the meat on both sides in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate. In the same pot, soften the onions, carrot and celery, add more oil as needed. Cook for 5 minutes or so until softened but not browned. Deglaze with the white wine.
- Add the meat and remaining ingredients. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to the oven. Bake for 2 hours until tender.
Tip: Serve with any Potato dish and a side of fresh vegetable. I made some “smashed” Parmesan red potatoes and a side of fresh green beans this time.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.
4 Comments Add yours
Looks great Simon. Love Vesl so going to try with the shanks.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for the comment Sue! I hope you enjoy cooking and eating this tasty dish, the meat is so tender and flavourful! Bon Apetit!!
Nice hearty meal, not to mention it looks delicious!
Thanks so much Diane!! My Son is home this weekend and he is going to help me improve my photography!! The dish was delish, but the photo doesn’t do it justice…appreciate the kind words!