Chicken, Refried bean and Rice Burrito
Also known as a Mission style Burrito, these Mexican-American mega burritos are made using a large white flour tortilla, and filled with slowly cooked pulled chicken, refried beans, Mexican style rice, cheese, salsa and avocado (optional), and topped with a red chile sauce and sour cream. This is preferably made on a weekend so you have time to prepare all the ingredients together, properly. It is more than worth the effort I can assure you! Take a trip to Mexico with me and enjoy!
Pollo Con Chile Rojo Burrito
A delicious and filling Grande Burrito that you will make time and time again.
- Pollo Con Chile Rojo (Chicken with red chile)
- 1 1/2 Lbs boneless chicken breast trimmed
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and ground Back pepper
- 250 ml strained tomatoes (Passata / tomato sauce)
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 small can red enchilada sauce (to make the red chile sauce below) For the Burrito assembly (Per Burrito)
- 1 10 inch flour tortilla
- 1/3 cup of shredded Monterey Jack or Tex Mex cheese
- 1/3 cup Mexican rice (I use Uncle Bens)
- 1/3 cup of cooked refried beans (see instructions below)
- 1/3 cup of Pollo Con Chile Rojo (the chicken in red chile mixture)
- 2 tbsp spicy salsa verde (either home made or store brought, it’s OK!)
- 1 tbsp chopped Cilantro
- 2 slices avocado (optional)
- small amount of vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp of red chile sauce (instructions below)
- 1 or 2 tbsp sour cream
- snipped fresh cilantro to garnish
- To make the Pollo Con Chile Rojo: Heat the oven to 350f.
- Heat veg oil and some butter in a medium sized Dutch Oven (or similar) over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and stir , cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add chopped garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add salt, pepper, chipotle chile powder, smoked paprika and cumin and stir thoroughly. If too dry, add a little more butter!!
- Add chicken breast and cook for 3 minutes until sealed, flip the chicken over and cook for a further 3 minutes to seal.
- Pour in tomato sauce and mix into the the spices and chicken, this should be quite thick. Add the chicken stock and dried oregano, stir to mix well.
- Cover with lid and cook in oven on middle rack for 60 minutes.
- When chicken is cooked and VERY tender, remove the chicken and reserve the leftover sauce.
- Shred the chicken on a plate and add some of the leftover sauce. mix well so the chicken is thoroughly coated.
- For the Red Chile sauce: Spoon the remaining chicken chile sauce into a small saucepan, add the enchilada sauce, mix and simmer for 5-6 minutes. (Set aside for the burrito assembly).
- For the refried bean mixture: In a small fry pan, add some veg oil and butter, add 1/2 cup finely chopped onion and soften, add the refried bean mixture from the can. Cook for 4-5 minutes on low heat until thickened. remove and set aside.
- For the Mexican rice: Cook as per uncle Bens instructions!! 🙂
- Warm the tortillas in a 350f oven, wrapped in foil for 10 minutes.
- For the burrito assembly: Place warmed tortilla on a clean chopping board, spread the cheese around the tortilla within 1 inch from the edge. Top with the chicken chile mixture, Mexican rice, refried bans, spicy salsa, and 1tbsp of cilantro. Add avocado slices if using.
- Fold opposite edge of tortilla over the fillings halfway, fold the opposite edge inwards halfway, fold the other 2 edges under to tuck into the tortilla tightly, this should leave a middle seam.
- Add a little butter to a large fry pan on medium heat. Place rolled burrito seam side down and fry for 2 minute or so until lightly browned. Flip the burrito onto the opposite side and fry for another 2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Serve onto a warmed plate, drizzle some of the red sauce on top, drizzle some sour cream over the burrito if desired. Garnish with additional cilantro. Makes 1 Burrito.
Tip: Approx. 15 minutes before the chicken has finished cooking in the oven, start cooking the rice, refried beans and heat the red sauce so everything is ready to go when time to assemble the burrito!
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.