Chicken Satay with Asian Salad and Prawn Crackers
This, without a doubt, is my favourite Chicken on a stick recipe! The Satay sauce is thick, nutty and creamy with a hint of heat. I usually serve with my Asian crunchy salad for a nice balance, and a must have, Prawn Crackers! You can scoop the leftover sauce into the crackers for a divine treat!
- 4 Boneless, skinless Chicken breasts
- 1 Large Onion, grated
- 2 TBSP Lime Juice
- 2 Cloves of garlic, grated
- 2 TBSP Grated Ginger
- 2-3 Tsp Sambel Olek (or crushed chiles)
- 1/3 Cup of Soy Sauce
- 2 TBSP Brown Sugar
- 1 small can of Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup of all natural crunchy Peanut Butter (Only use this, do not use regular, it won’t be the same!)
- Crunchy Asian Salad
- 3 Cups of Romaine Lettuce, washed and chopped
- 3 Cups of baby Bok Choy, washed and chopped
- 1/2 Cup of shelled peanuts
- 1 PKG Mr Noodles (Dry Ramen noodles)
- 1/3 Cup Soy sauce
- 3 TBS Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 TBSP Mirin
- 2 TBSP Peanut Oil
- 2 TBSP Brown Sugar
- Mix together the marinade ingredients above into a large glass bowl. Cut the Chicken into 1″ cubes and put into the marinade and mix really well. Cover with plastic wrap and marinade in a fridge overnight or for at least 10-12 hours.
- When you are ready to grill, heat a small fry pan on medium heat and dry fry the peanuts and crushed noodles until lightly browned. (5-6 minutes)
- In a small saucepan, heat the soy sauce, oil, Mirin, Rice vinegar and brown sugar gently for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, let simmer for 2 minutes then remove from heat to cool.
- Skewer approx 4 pieces of the Chicken Breast onto a thick stainless steel skewer,(Keep the remaining marinade for the sauce), heat up a gas or charcoal grill, grill chicken skewers for 3-4 minutes on all sides, until lightly browned and cooked through (165f). Remove and place onto a serving plate.
- Pour the leftover chicken marinade into a small saucepan, add the peanut butter and coconut milk, stir together, and bring to a gentle boil. (VIP, MUST come to a boil!). Turn the heat to low and simmer for several minutes, until the sauce has thickened nicely.
- Heat 2 cups of vegetable oil in a small Wok, when temperature is 375f, add 6 or so Prawn Crackers to the hot oil, they will puff up in a few seconds! Place on a plate with Kitchen paper towel to drain any excess oil, repeat until you have 30 or so Prawn Crackers.
- In a large glass bowl, mix the cooked nuts, noodles, Bok Choy and Romaine together. Drizzle the cooled dressing all over and mix well.
- Pour 2-3 TBSP of the Satay sauce over each of the Chicken skewers, serve with the Prawn Crackers and Asian salad, enjoy!!
Tip: Prawn Crackers can be found in all Asian Grocery stores, they come in a small box and can be coloured, or plain white
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.